Sunday, May 07, 2017 by Vicki Batts
Merck may as well be a household name; the corporation is one of the world’s largest pharma companies and is known for manufacturing a variety of vaccines. Some of their products have garnered a lot of bad press lately, due to the damage they’ve done to people across the world. Their HPV vaccine has been particularly problematic, and has even caused some young women to become paralyzed. The company is also known for producing the MMR vaccine, which we all know has been the subject of many controversies.
To put it simply, Merck is a major pharmaceutical company that has produced products which have had a negative effect on many people’s lives. But is there an even darker secret that Merck is hiding?
A recent report has revealed that the pharmaceutical company we all love to hate may have deep ties to biological warfare. As Cassius Methyl writes for Waking Times, “Merck & Co. is not to be confused with the German ‘Merck KGaA,’ but they both originate from the original German Merck. Merck was founded in 1668, in Germany.” A U.S. division was founded in New York by 1887, thanks to George Merck. It was called Merck & Co. In 1891, George Merck had moved to New York as well.
Merck & Co was seized by the U.S. government in 1917 as the country entered WWI — after the federal government announced that companies with ties to Germany would be overtaken. However, George Merck and his partners formed the “McKenna Corporation,” and managed to buy their company back when it was put up for auction in 1919. From then on, it is thought that the company severed all its ties to Germany, and made great efforts to remain on the American side of the war. In 1925, George Merck passed the company on to his son, George W. Merck. And this is when the company started to take a more sinister turn.
George W. Merck ruled the corporation for 25 years and was president of Merck during the years of WWII — and he was a leader in the United States’ biological warfare program during the same time frame. Merck was the appointed head of the War Research Service. Reports indicate that the United States’ biological warfare “headquarters,” Fort Detrick, was constructed in the small town of Frederick, Maryland. The facility is said to have had “top secret” plants to engage in open-air testing of biological agents on the unsuspecting American people.
As sources report:
By the the end of World War II, the government had amassed a massive arsenal of biological weapons (using anthrax and other various bacteria) — all under the “strictest secrecy.” Soon, justification for continuing the research shifted to the “need for national defense.”
“Work in this field cannot be ignored in a time of peace,” Merck warned officials. “It must be continued on a sufficient scale to provide an adequate defense.”
Unsurprisingly, the government was convinced, and so, the research and experimentation continued. George W. Merck was even the recipient of several awards and was featured on the cover of Time Magazine during the summer of 1952. Albeit, readers were totally oblivious to his involvement in the development of biological weapons and the experimentation of such weapons on innocent citizens.
Even after Merck left the War Research Service, Ft. Detrick went on to become the epicenter of experimentation on American civilians, and one the most recognized centers of biological warfare development in U.S. history.
To put it simply, Ft. Detrick — which was essentially Merck’s creation — was a place where very bad things happened. And to make matters worse, George W. Merck was running the nation’s biological warfare efforts at the same time as his pharmaceutical company.
The company’s ties to biological warfare are frightening enough even without their terrible track record of harming human beings with their products and lying about the efficacy and safety of their vaccines.